A friend asked me to share this recipe. It is from Farm Journal’s Complete Pie Cookbook. I think the book may be out of print but that used copies are still available for sale through sites like Amazon. It is a great cookbook for pie lovers with tons of recipes. I prefer this pie served warm with vanilla ice cream on top.
Pecan Puff Pie
Baked 9″ pie shell
1 (6 oz) pkg. semisweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup evaporated milk or light cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 egg whites
1 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
1 cup chopped pecans
3 tblsp. melted butter or margarine
1 tsp. vailla
1/2 cup pecan halves
- Place chocolate pieces in top of double boiler. Melt over hot water. (I did this step in the microwave.)
- Add evaporated milk and vanilla. Blend thoroughly.
- Spread in a layer over bottom of pie shell and fill with Pecan Meringue.
- Sift flour; measure; sift again with salt (I just mixed flour with salt in a bowl without sifting.)
- Beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually add brown sugar, beating until it holds firm peaks.
- Fold in flour, chopped pecans, butter and vanilla
- Spread over chocolate layer.
- Arrange pecan halves around edge of pie to make a wreath (I consider this optional)
Bake in slow oven (325 degrees) 50 to 60 minutes.