New Tax Rules for Landlords

If you own a rental property, even just one, you need to talk with your accountant about the new tax rules regarding reporting.   These rules took effect on January 1, 2011 and affect landlords who hire someone to work on their property if they pay $600 or more in a calendar year.    In these cases, you will need to collect a social security number or EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the person or company doing the work.  In the month of January following the year the work was done, you will need to provide them with a 1099-MISC form.

For more information:

AZ Republic Article – Tax Rules Put Burden on Landlords

IRS 2011 Instructions for 1099-MISC