October is Energy Awareness Month. Here are some easy ways to reduce energy use in your home and save you money.
- Use a programmable thermostat to control the a/c and heat in your home. Turn up the temperature during the summer during the times when you are away from home and do the opposite in the winter.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. Remember that these bulbs must be disposed of properly when you are finished using them. Ace Hardware locations that have SRP boxes for used CFL bulbs.
- Set your dishwasher to air dry the dishes instead of using the heat dry cycle.
- Turn off electronics when not in use including your computer and printer. For TV’s and home entertainment centers, you can plug them all into one power strip. Turn off the equipment then turn off the power strip because TVs and DVD players will still use power in standby mode.
- Wash only full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Make sure your fireplace damper is closed when the fireplace is not in use.
For more energy-saving ideas: